Friday, January 6, 2012

Google Puts Me in Time Out

(Image via MyEyeSees)
Rumors have been going around that Google, aka the Evil Empire, has been suspending Blogger blogs and Gmail accounts, for no discernable reason. It happened to me this morning. The blog went poof, and I emailed Google to figure out why. Then I tried logging in to my Gmail account--no dice.

In about an hour, they both were restored. The crazy part? I have no idea why this happened. The moral of the story for me is to take the advice that others have been giving, and back up my blog.

I get that the suspension of blogs is an automated process, and they claim to have a 2% false positive rate in suspending blogs for violating the TOS. But this seems to be happening to a lot of people. I'd love to know why it happened, but apparently Google doesn't give you that information.

On the bright side, the suspension made me stop procrastinating and write 1100 words. I will now stop bitching and return to writing, on the alert for Google's evil magicians to reappear.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I've never even heard of this happening! Now I'm a little freaked, and I'm off to back up my blog. Thanks for the heads up! And huge congrats on it getting you an extra 1100 words. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting the extra words in! :-))) I had not heard about blogs being suspended (need to see if it happens with wordpress...)
    By the way: did you see I passed on the Kreative Blogger award to you? :-)
    http://commutinggirl.wordpress.com/2012/01/05/omg-omg-omg-kreative-blogger-award/
    Thanks for your email by the way: reply coming up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Peggy: Yeah, having a backed up blog feels like having an insurance policy. Thanks for the congrats :)

    @commutinggirl: Thanks! I don't think it's been happening on Wordpress, but I'm not as up on that platform. I did see the post. It's so nice of you--thanks! I'm still working on my Kreative post. Hopefully today!

    ReplyDelete